2024 PMEA Annual Conference Performing Group Application
Audition Procedures for Performing Groups 2024 PMEA Annual In-service Conference, April 17-20, Bayfront Convention Center, Erie
Application Fee - $25
Window of Opportunity to Submit – Mon., May 1 - Wed., June 7
Failure to comply with the PMEA Conference Performance criteria will result in the performance application not being considered for the conference. All deadlines and criteria must be met. No refunds of performance application fees will be made.
PMEA members of all teaching levels and areas are encouraged to submit an application for consideration to perform at the 2024 PMEA Annual Conference. In an effort to involve as many ensembles as possible, an ensemble appearing at a PMEA Annual Conference is eligible to perform once every four years (i.e. first year of eligibility for groups who performed at the 2023 Annual Conference will be the 2027 Annual Conference). *No school building (i.e. ES, MS, HS), organization or director may have a performance group of the same medium (i.e. choir, band, orchestra, etc.) appear at consecutive PMEA Conferences. This applies to all ensembles appearing on any concert at the conference. (Example: A school, organization or director may not enter a concert choir one year and a woman’s choir the next year.)
1. All Teachers and conductors of all performing groups submitting applications MUST BE CURRENT MEMBERS OF PMEA (expiration date of 6/30/23 to submit; 6/30/24 to perform). In the case of faculty ensembles, all performers in the ensemble MUST BE CURRENT MEMBERS of PMEA - No exceptions.
2. All groups wanting to appear in any concert session of the 2024 PMEA Annual Conference must submit the following via the Submittable program during the submission window (Mon. May 1 - Wed. June 7):
A. Completed application for performance *Please note that a Submittable account (no cost to create account) is required in order to submit an application.
B. Application fee of $25 per submission - A quality recording of your ensemble’s performance must be submitted online via Submittable (application fee must be paid with credit card).
C. Unedited live recording of two (2) selections (individual movements of a piece can be considered as separate pieces). Audio only or audio and video - please be sure the conductor cannot be identified if submitting video. Please do not include any identifying factors in the video or file name.
i. Unedited shall mean NO studio enhancements or alterations of any type.
ii. Live performance shall mean a complete performance of each selected work (does not have to take place in front of an audience).
iii. Live performances shall also mean that all accompaniments must be live.
iv. Show choirs/vocal jazz choirs must submit a video file.
D. The date of each performance recording must be included on the application. Recordings must have been made during the 2022-23 school year.
E. Choral & Instrumental Submissions must include two contrasting selections illustrating wide musical variety with a total time limit of 15 minutes.
F. General Music Submissions (i.e. Orff ensemble, recorder ensemble, etc.) must follow the guidelines as above; however, if the group involves visual material and the director feels it would be beneficial, a video may be submitted. The submission must be clean and cannot contain anything that would identify the group or director in any way.
G. Community Groups must follow the same procedures as above; however, eligible groups will be invited at the discretion of the Conference Chair.
H. All audition materials shall be submitted via the Submittable program during the window of opportunity which begins on Monday, May 1 and will close at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, June 7.
3. Each application for performance by elementary, middle & high school groups must be verified by an administrator (principal or superintendent) certifying it is the intent of the group to appear on the conference program, if invited (not applicable for college & community group applicants).
4. Conductors of performance groups:
A. must be paid members of PMEA (expiration date of 6/30/23 during the application window and 6/30/24 after July 1)
B. must be the director of the group on the audition recording.
C. who are submitting multiple ensembles for consideration, please note only one ensemble will be invited to perform at the conference.
5. Performance groups appearing at the conference must be the same ensemble represented on the audition recording. If accepted, students in the performing group must be current members of the ensemble (cannot bring back students that were in the ensemble last year, but not this year). Therefore be sure to name the ensemble accordingly, based on who will be performing.
6. PMEA/NAfME acknowledges the wide diversity of performing ensembles and encourages the submission of the following groups:
A. Bands: traditional concert bands, wind ensembles, and jazz bands (no combos)
B. Choirs: traditional choral ensembles of like or mixed voices, chamber choirs, show choirs, vocal jazz ensembles, etc.
C. Orchestras: string or full orchestras
D. Small Ensembles: wind, brass, percussion, string, jazz combos, or vocal small ensembles.
E. Non-Traditional or Emerging Ensembles: mariachi, steel drum, guitar ensembles, technology ensemble, etc.
7. An effort will be made to ensure that invited performing groups will represent a variety of levels, sizes and genres.
8. Groups selected as performing ensembles may be asked to serve as a demonstration group for the conference.
9. If submitting more than one ensemble for consideration, a separate application must be completed and a separate fee must be paid for each ensemble auditioning under the same director. *Please note that if multiple ensembles with the same director are submitted, only one may be selected.
10. The director of the group submitting the application must remain the director if the group is selected. If there is a change in directors, the group will be disqualified, no exceptions.
11. All performing groups are auditioned on a strictly anonymous and impartial basis by panels of music educators who serve as adjudicators. Quality of performance, literature displayed and the potential contribution to the entire content of the conference program will be the determining factors in the final selections. No evaluations from the adjudicators will be provided for the auditioning groups.
12. Invitations to appear at the 2024 PMEA In-service Conference will be issued by the Conference Program Chair in late August/early September. *Please note that you may be asked to share a concert with another performing group. **Please note that performing group concerts are for conference attendees. Groups selected to perform at the conference are strongly encouraged to schedule a concert for their community separate from their performance at the conference.
Deadline: Wednesday, June 7, 2023.
**For technical issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org