Directors who wish to have their students (grades 10-12 only) considered for selection should:
- Complete the application form with payment ($15). The Director must be a current PMEA member. All student applicants must upload a headshot photo - (ABOVE the SHOULDERS) labeled Lastname_Firstname. *Please note there is a new feature that allows the person who starts the application to add collaborators to it (i.e. if the Director starts the application they can add their student to add their audition videos). The person who starts the application, however, is the only one who has access to the payment information (so if the student is paying the application fee, they should start the application and add the director as a collaborator).
- The Audition selections must be submitted online via SUBMITTABLE at the PMEA Website listed above. The audition selections must be recorded from start to finish without cuts and/or splices. SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS on how to submit EACH SELECTION are listed BELOW as well as on the SUBMITTABLE Application. ARMS, FINGERS and HEAD must be visible when submitting the application for recording. NO EAR BUDS or HEADPHONES are permitted to be used in the recording. To obtain the best audio quality, a good microphone as well as high-end computers or digital recording devices for the recording equipment are suggestd.
- No identifying clothing may be worn (i.e. no school t-shirts, no name identification, no PMEA, NAfME All Eastern or National shirts). Additionally, please do NOT include any identifying information in the video file name or in the contents of the recording (i.e. your name or school name).
- The "Window of Opportunity" to record begins Tuesday, November 8, 2022 and ends at Noon (12:00 p.m.) on Wednesday, January 4, 2022. A confirmation email will be sent to the address on the Submittable account used to submit the application. Please check your SPAM filters for any communications and also check with your IT Administrator if a school email address is used and no email is received.
- The director is asked to view the file and verify the recorded audition is consistent with the student’s level of performance.
- Although PMEA checks to ensure the videos play in the correct format and the file can be opened- PMEA is NOT responsible for the content repertoire of the video. Please follow the repertoire and file labeling instructions.
- Students may audition on multiple instruments or voice parts, however a separate payment and Submittable application is required for each submission. All requirements for EACH instrument or voice part must be met and sent on a separate upload video.
- Results of the 2023 PMEA All-State Jazz and Vocal Jazz Ensembles will be posted on Wednesday, February 1 via the PMEA Website- www.pmea.net.
- (Instrumental Jazz Only)-The second ranked piano, drummer, guitar and bass applicants will be selected as the rhythm section for the 2023 All-State Vocal Jazz Ensemble.
***If selected for the 2023 PMEA Jazz Ensemble, the student will no longer be eligible for any of the other All-State ensembles.***
- SCALES - Play a Bb major scale from low Bb to high F and back to low Bb in eighth notes at minimum quarter note tempo of 200. You can swing the scales or play them straight. Play the same exercise on a B major scale (low B to high F# and back to low B) Scales.
- REQUIRED PIECE- Play Donna Lee in its entirety, beginning on page 48 of the Charlie Parker Omnibook (Eb Edition, pub. Hal Leonard). Do not play it with the accompaniment CD.
* Each applicant must submit at least one of the following sections, but is encouraged to submit both sections. A high performance level is foremost, but displaying a broader scope of one’s abilities will give the judges a better representation of the total player. Scoring for this category will be an average of the section(s) submitted.
- LEAD PLAYING- Play the 24-32 measure etude provided by PMEA. Etude is available online www.pmea.net , Scroll to “Conferences and Events'' and then “PMEA All-State Information”. (This section is not available for tenor saxophone or baritone saxophone).
- IMPROVISATION - Improvise over You’re the Last One found on pages 22-23 in the book Effective Etudes for Jazz by Mike Carubia and Jeff Jarvis (pub. Kendor), playing along with track 30 from the accompaniment CD.
- SECTION PLAYING – Play the entire etude Sweet Georgia, found on pages 32-33 in the book Effective Etudes for Jazz by Mike Carubia and Jeff Jarvis (pub. Kendor), playing along with track 35 from the accompaniment CD.
SUBMITTABLE RECORDING INSTRUCTIONS
1. Record EACH TITLE separately.
2. LABEL THE FILE with the SELECTION TITLE from the list and upload in the corresponding section of the application.