2022-23 Original Composition Program: Elementary School
Purpose: The purpose of the event is to promote and encourage student composition
Eligibility: Open to Grades K-5 individual students of PMEA members
Requirements: An original composition for at least a solo (instrument or voice) with piano accompaniment or
small instrumental ensemble.
*Previous composition awardees may not submit a composition in the same genre in which they were recognized in consecutive years, however a composition in a different genre may be submitted.
Program Rules and Procedures:
1. The sponsoring teacher must be a PMEA member.
2. Entries must be unpublished original compositions. No transcriptions or arrangements will be eligible.
3. Compositions should be between three and five minutes in length.
4. The purpose of the program is to encourage and promote student composition. Therefore, the composition must be conceived and constructed solely by the composer.
5. Compositions must be submitted with a full score in PDF format and a recorded performance or digital audio file.
6. Be sure that your name is NOT listed anywhere on the score or in the audio file.
7. All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. January 4, 2023. Entries received after the deadline will not be considered.
8. All rights, including copyrighting, remain with the composer.
9. Compositions submitted must not be published and must have not won any other competitions.
10. The panel of judges will include qualified university composition faculty, university music education faculty and/or music educators. Their decisions will be final, with the right to withhold the award in the event that no entry is judged to be worthy of winning.
11. Each student is limited to one entry in this category.
12. The top compositions may be performed live during the 2023 PMEA Annual In-service Conference at the Kalahari Resort & Conference Center in the Poconos. If your composition is selected, you will be asked to submit a recording to be played during the composition program session in the event that a live performance is not possible.
· Creative use of the elements of music
· Appropriate use of voice and/or instruments (range/playability, texture, tone color, text if applicable)
· Compositional technique and development
· Presentation (correct musical notation)
The top composition(s) will be recognized and MAY have their pieces featured during the 2023 PMEA Annual In-service Conference. All applicants will receive feedback on their compositions.
Entry Fee: $15
Deadline: January 4, 2023
Entry: All entries will be completed online.
Questions: Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org