Directors who wish to have their students (grades 10-12 only) considered for selection should:
- Complete the application form with payment ($15.00). The Director must be a current PMEA member. All student applicants must upload a headshot photo - (ABOVE the SHOULDERS) labeled with student's name in the following format: Lastname_Firstname. *Please note the feature in Submittable that allows the person who starts the application to add collaborators to it (i.e. if the Director starts the application they can add their student to add their audition videos). The person who starts the application, however, is the only one who has access to the payment information (so if the student is paying the application fee, they should start the application and add the director as a collaborator).
- The Audition selections must be submitted online via Submittable. The audition selections must be recorded from start to finish without cuts and/or splices. Specific instructions on how to submit each selection are listed below, as well as on the Submittable application. Students should face the video camera and include their entire head in the video. NO EAR BUDS or HEADPHONES are permitted to be used in the recording. To obtain the best audio quality, a good microphone, as well as high-end computers or digital recording devices for the recording equipment are suggested.
- No identifying clothing may be worn (i.e. no school t-shirts, no name identification, no PMEA, NAfME All Eastern or National shirts). Additionally, please do NOT include any identifying information in the video file name or in the contents of the recording (i.e. your name or school name).
- The window of opportunity to record runs from Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2022 until noon on Wednesday, January 4, 2023. A confirmation email will be sent to the address on the Submittable account used to submit the application. Please check your spam for any communications and also check with your IT Administrator if a school email address is used and no email is received.
- The director is asked to view the file and verify the recorded audition is consistent with the student’s level of performance.
- Although PMEA checks to ensure the videos play in the correct format and the file can be opened, PMEA is NOT responsible for the content repertoire of the video. Please follow the repertoire and file labeling instructions.
- Students may audition on multiple instruments or voice parts, however a separate payment and Submittable application is required for each submission. All requirements for EACH instrument or voice part must be met and sent on a separate upload video.
- Results of the 2023 PMEA All-State Jazz and Vocal Jazz Ensembles will be posted on Wednesday, February 1.
***If selected for the 2023 PMEA Vocal Jazz Ensemble, the student will no longer be eligible for any of the other All-State ensembles.*** *** Vocal Jazz students (including the rhythm section) are eligible to apply for NAfME Eastern Division or National Honors Ensemble if applicable for any given year. ***
Submissions must be recorded in the following order:
1. Sing two (2) different scales in swing eighth notes using the syllables “doo va” or “doo ba” (may be modified depending on range), ascending and descending one octave (including the 9th on top). Tempo: Quarter note = 110
- low: Middle C
- high: A (above middle C)
- low: Bb (below middle C)
- high: F (above middle C)
- low: G (below middle C)
- high: D (above middle C)
- low: C (second space bass clef)
- high: G (below middle C)
- low: Bb (second line bass clef)
- high: Eb (below middle C)
- low: F (below bass staff)
- high: C (second space bass clef)
2. Sing Body and Soul, found on pages 1-2 (high version) or pages 23-24 (low version) of Vocal Standards – Embraceable You: 12 Standards in Singer’s Keys, Volume 113 by Jamey Aebersold (published by Jamey Aebersold Jazz, Inc.). Sing unaccompanied using the lyrics in BALLAD TEMPO. Sing one (1) complete chorus. Soprano and Tenor singers should sing the high version. Alto and Bass singers should sing the low version. Middle singers may sing the high or low version or may sing in a different key depending on what best suits your voice.
3. Sing I Could Write A Book, found on page 7 (high version) or page 29 (low version) of Vocal Standards – Embraceable You: 12 Standards in Singer’s Keys, Volume 113 by Jamey Aebersold (published by Jamey Aebersold Jazz, Inc.). Sing two (2) choruses along with the accompaniment track provided with the Vocal Standards book. The first chorus should be sung with the written pitches of the melody and the lyrics. The second chorus should be sung by improvising on the melody using the lyrics. Choose either the High Voice or Low Voice part to best suit your voice part and range.
Accompaniment tracks: High Voice – CD #1, Track 13 (faster tempo); Low Voice – CD #2, Track 13 (faster tempo) found on pages 17-18 (high version)
4. Scat sing two (2) improvised choruses from the “Scat Etude” on the PMEA Website: www.pmea.net, scroll to “Conferences and Events” and then “PMEA All-State Information."
SUBMITTABLE RECORDING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Record EACH TITLE separately.
2. LABEL THE FILE with the SELECTION TITLE from the list and attached in the corresponding upload field.
**Please note that mp4 files tend to upload more easily than .mov files